The number of indicators measured in the 2018 index has been expanded from seven fiscal and regulatory environment indicators to 10, including three new indicators that assess political and sociocultural environments. The results are grouped into five key factors that measure:
- Ease of operating philanthropic organizations
- Tax incentives
- Cross-border flows
- Political environment
- Sociocultural environment
In addition to the three new indicator questions, the new questionnaire for country experts requests information that provides important context for understanding the environment for philanthropy in each country:
- Legal forms of philanthropy
- Important social causes supported by philanthropic organizations
- Average time for registration of philanthropic organizations
- Average costs of registration for philanthropic organizations
- Current state of the philanthropic sector
- Major recent events affecting the philanthropic landscape in the country
- Future observable trends
- Recommendations for improvement
The questionnaire was distributed online to facilitate the data collection process.
Experts and reviewers included individuals with different backgrounds and experience: academics, legal experts, nonprofit leaders, and researchers in regional or national research organizations.
Scoring was a multi-step process involving country experts, Indiana University Lilly Family School of Philanthropy researchers, regional reviewers discussing with country experts in each region to reach consensus on the scores, and final validation of the scores by the members of the Advisory Board.