Comparative data for the 14 regions studied in the 2022 GPEI are based on six factors measuring the enabling conditions of a region’s philanthropic environment.
- Ease of operating a philanthropic organization focuses on the laws and regulations for the formation, operation, and dissolution of philanthropic organizations.
- Tax incentives examines the laws and regulations governing taxes related to making and receiving donations.
- Cross-border philanthropic flows evaluates the laws and regulations governing the incentives and constraints of making and receiving cross-border donations.
- Political environment measures the relationships between the government and philanthropic organizations, as well as public policies and practices regarding philanthropy.
- Economic environment reviews the economic conditions that nurture or hinder individual and institutional philanthropy.
- Socio-cultural environment captures core societal values that provide enabling or disabling philanthropic conditions, such as cultural philanthropic traditions, public trust, awareness of philanthropy, and perception of philanthropic organizations.